Join an international community of virtual/physical explorers, known as ‘geocachers’, and go on a ’caching treasure hunt in The Rocks, an area steeped in history. Geocaching is a real world, outdoor treasure hunting game in which you navigate using GPS-enabled devices, such as your smartphone.
On The Rocks GeoTour, geocachers can bring the past to life by seeking out contemporary artists’ interpretations of history. Please note, this activity comes with a warning from Geocaching Australia to “… beware, it can be addictive!”
All you need to go geocaching is a free Geocaching.com membership, plus either a Geocaching App for iPhone or Android, or a GPS device. With your device in hand and a membership, you'll be all set to explore The Rocks for hidden treasures.
How does it work?
1. Download the Geocaching app and create a free Geocaching account (if you already have an account, just log in).
2. Go to The Rocks GeoTour web page.
3. Choose one geocache and begin navigating.
4. Once you've found the cache: sign the logbook, return it to its original location, and share your experience by logging your find with the Geocaching app.
5. Choose another cache and start all over again.
Happy caching and don’t forget to share your experience via #TheRocks and #geocaching on social media!