BridgeClimb Sydney has developed a customised excursion product for Stage 4 Year 7–8 Science students, centred on the topic areas of Forces, Expansion/Contraction and Corrosion, as per the Physical and Chemical World sections of the curriculum (CW4).
- 30-minute session in our private cinema featuring a ten minute clip on the key subject area (includes animations and interviews shot on the Bridge showcasing the theory taking place in real life)
- 2-3 hours climb on the Bridge with our professional climb leaders with customised commentary focused around the key subject areas
- 30-minute de-brief session in the cinema where students complete an Activity Sheet
- Additional take away activities for the classroom
- We define Tension (T) and Compression (C) and relate it to the context of bridge design
- We explain the various points of (T) and (C) on the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- We explore bridge design and how it is used to control (T) and (C), with various designs covered, including beam, cable stayed and single span arch bridges
- We look at metal in the context of corrosion and we explore the impact of oxygen and moisture on metal in creating corrosion, or rust
- We explore how and where rust in happening on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the measurements undertaken to control or limit this corrosion
- We showcase some innovations that are taking place on the Bridge to control corrosion
Contraction and Expansion
- We explore the impact of heat in creating energy and its impact on a particles’ movement
- We look at how engineers have allowed for contraction and expansion on the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- We explain the impacts that contraction and expansion has on the bridge
Various climb times are available and range from 2.25 - 3.5 hours.