A modern cocktail and terrace bar above one of the city's oldest pubs.Take the first doorway on the right in Kendall Lane, follow the stairs and youve found Mrs. Jones. Home of fine cocktails and delicious meals.
The modern open-air space overlooks a shady sandstone courtyard and once belonged to Jane Jones, the licensee of The Orient Hotel in 1897. It was famously one of the liveliest pubs in The Rocks.
Today Mrs. Jones continues in her footsteps, with a menu filled with fresh local produce, a superb drink selection and warm hospitality.
The Orient Hotel - 87-89 George Street, The Rocks
The Orient Hotel was originally built as a butcher's shop in 1844. Its owner, local businessman and Sydney Council Alderman, was James Chapman, the son of ex-convict William Chapman, who in 1810 had one of the earliest licensed pubs in The Rocks. James Chapman converted his shop to become the Marine Hotel in 1853. In 1884 the hotel’s name was changed to The Orient – the heritage-listed pub that remains there to this day.