Australian Hotel - 100 Cumberland Street, The Rocks
The current Australian Hotel is the third building in The Rocks to bear that name the first one was constructed down near the Museum of Contemporary Art by Circular Quay in 1824.
In 1889 it moved to the Cumberland Street Dig site, now the Sydney Harbour Youth Hostel, were it stood form 1889 until it was demolished in 1914. In that year a new Australian Hotel was built in its current location. Today it is one of the most complete examples of a hotel from that period with a bar that wraps around the corner from Gloucester Street to Cumberland Street on two levels. Original pressed metal ceilings can be seen on the inside and many original features survive.
On Gloucester Street near the corner of Cumberland Street there is a plaque to John William Manners who was murdered at the Australian Hotel on 8 June 1956. His murderer was believed to be George Joseph Hackett who shot Manners from the opposite side of the road. Although there were many eye witnesses to the murder few were willing to come forward and give evidence in court and so Hackett was not convicted of Manners’ murder. The motive for the murder is still unknown.